Saturday, May 8, 2010

Cleaning out my closet... literary !

Over the years, I have become a clean freak ! I used to be messy, but somehow (thankfully) that has changed. I like things in order. I like my clothes hung in a particular way: first tanks, then short sleeves, then 3/4 sleeves, full sleeves, dress shirts, jackets, city shorts, capris, brown dress pants, grey dress pants, black dress pants, jeans). Sweaters are folded below the hung clothes and my other closet is used for suits, dresses; leather jackets and shoes. If my room is messy, I become very anxious and edgy... and have a harder time falling asleep. During exams, I usually become a bit messy which is reflective of my scattered mood. Unlike previous years, I didn't perform my total clean up after exams. I usually like to reorganize my entire room ( I have alot of junk).


So Friday, I woke up and decided that "today is going to be cleaning day". It is very important to note that it usually takes about 3-4 days to complete this entire cleaning process... because I get distracted ... But anyway, I decided to start my regiment by cleaning out my closet (the one containing dresses and shoes), which consists of a upper portion that I can't reach without a stepping stool. This portion of my closet is purely dedicated to notes...school notes...from ....a gazillion years ago ! lol ... eeekkk..... The other side of the same closet contains my "memory boxes"in which are a bunch of receipts, letters, pictures, cards, really anything of anysentimental value. I also came across my old diaries, which I obviously peeked through... um... feeling sort of nostalgic right about now...
What I found to be interesting, is people who meant alot to me even eight to ten years ago, still have a part of my heart. I keep in touch with almost all of those people, perhaps some more than others; nevertheless, I still keep in touch with them (with the exception of some of my exs). Amongst these people, is le beautiful best friend...whom I have now known for 12 years now ( Love youuuu)
There is actually a particular item I found that I will probably write about another day, but for now, I'd like to focus on something that I've been pondering about...
There are items that I have held on to, that allow me to reminisce ... they help me with my mental suicide (yes dear Untamed Scientist...your guidance will soon be needed). In contrast, there are items, even minor details in my diary that bring me joy and warmth... So should one throw out everything that holds and brings out a negative connotation? What I really mean is that our mind does a fabulous job at reminding us of bad memories, so should we voluntarily keep possession of objects that prompt us to remember bad events/feelings or even worst, intensify the emotions that accompany those memories?

I don't know... it's 6 am...and I still have a lot of cleaning to do...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do not think we should throw out things that hold a negative connotation. Our lives are part of a journey - and within that journey occur both good and bad things. We might value the good things in our lives more (i.e. a good job, good boyfriends, good friends, etc...) but the bad things in life are just as important. These are the things that have helped us grow over time. At least for myself, when I look in retrospect at the things that were 'bad' in my life, I might not smile, but I feel content, partly because I have survived whatever 'bad thing' there was to survive and in analyzing it, I usually realize that I have learned or possibly grown up a little. So, pictures, notes, and presents that hold a negative connotation might not be things I bring out of my closet everyday, but they are definitely there-because they are still a part of who I am.

Untamed Scientist said...

New research shows that we actually don't learn much from our mistakes. Rather, we learn from our victories because our brain doesn't have time to remember what didn't work out!

Also, don't be boring! Your new blog explains why you have so much crap in your room (the one where you admit that you're boring).

Note to others: I know the author in person and that's why I talk to her in this way. Don't get too comfortable now. Thank you.