Thursday, June 17, 2010

Because books are my greatest companions

I'm currently reading a book that my dad just finished reading... It's called "The Twelve Sacred Principles of Karma" by Steven L. Hairfield, who studied with Tibetan monks, and if you know anything about me...you know that I have a passion for Buddhism.
It is quite apparent from the title that the book is utterly dedicated towards Karma. I'm not particularly a firm believer in Karma, but Hairfield has introduced some very interesting ideas which I will share with you. Nevertheless, I find some of his ideas absurd. I sat and read about 50 pages in one sitting... and now I think if I continue on... I will be really turned off and close the book and return it to my dad.... So I think I will take a tiny break from it. I think what REALLy bothered me was that he started to discuss illnesses and disease. He then went on taking credit away from genetics and blaming disease PURELY on lifestyle (includes mental and emotional states).... And thats where I drew the line. He also blamed the pandemic of bird flu...on Karma...?? !!!??
The following are some of the REASONABLE and interesting quotes that I took from the very first chapter of this book. I hope you enjoy it.


"We can only know others by how we know ourself."

"Become what you seek, and it shall find you"

"Ultimately , in order to achieve happiness through love, we must learn to trust no matter what we are faced with....when we trust, we must trust ourself first before we may ever trust another human, just as we do in the arena of love."

"Trust and patience go hand-in-hand, for without patience we may not trust anything as we literally rush in blindly... through the eyes of a monk, patience builds trust while trust strengthens patience."

"The most powerful thing we have is our mind and thought."

"Look within. Be still. Live free from fear and attachment, know the sweet joy of the way. Live in joy, in love amongst all things." - Buddha

Wisdom Quotes Truth

motivation

0 comments: